Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, 485 pages

I was excited when I saw one of my favorite authors with a new series. However, once I started to read this new book, I quickly began to wish I had never started. A cross between "I Am Legend", "Mad Max" and "Twilight", The Immortal Rules is nothing less than just another vampire post-apocalypse story.  In fact, you'll recognize a lot of similarities in this story line and just about every other vampire story out there. The main character, Allison Sekemoto, is a like-able main character who starts off as a "normal" human teenage girl and ends up a vampire within a few chapters when she faces the choice to die or become one of the bloodsuckers after an attack from a pack of rabids. A virus has been released into the air killing off humans. An attempt at a cure creates a whole new race of monsters called Rabids. They can be anything from a human to an animal (Sound familiar?) and hunt down their one favorite source of food - humans. The vampires keep their "bloodbags" safe by building large walled in cities to keep the rabids out. When Allison is forced to leave the vampire city she grew up in as a human, she treks out on her own as vampire and comes across pilgrims trying to reach "Eden." There we meet our fledgling vampire's soon to be love interest - a human named Zeke. The story then progresses through their trials, etc. while trying to reach Eden. They meet lots of monsters on the way, not realizing that one predator already travels among them. And let's not forget the cure for the rabids that needs to make its way to Eden to stop the violence. (I am Legend, anyone?). All in all this was still a good book even if it was just a remake of three other books. Will I read the next in the series? Nope. But I will definitely be reading the next in the Iron Fey series.

No comments:

Post a Comment