Friday, September 27, 2024

Never Whistle at Night: An Indigenous Dark Fiction Anthology

Never Whistle at Night: An Indigenous Dark Fiction Anthology edited by Shane Hawk and Theodore C. Van Alst Jr., 400 pages

Never Whistle at Night is a delightful collection of dark fiction. My familiarity with indigenous culture and storytelling is limited, so this exposure was fresh and vivid.  Some stories were better than others, but most were phenomenal. It horrified me, it creeped me out, it made me laugh, it made me cry. It made me think. Some of it actually gave me sleepless nights. The evocative quality of the stories and writing waxed and waned, but overall packed quite a wallop. 

This anthology's genre is difficult to pin down. Despite what the title suggests, it's not straight horror. There are strong horror elements in many of the stories, but some are just paranormal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment