Monday, August 31, 2015

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee - 288 pages

I have to say up front that To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books ever.  My love for it is definitely influenced by Gregory Peck's portrayal of Atticus Finch in the movie.  I went into this new book with a little trepidation from the media's furor over the portrayal of Atticus.  I was pleasantly surprised to truly enjoy this book.  It is a slice of an entirely different time in which Scout is a grown woman coming back to Maycomb from New York for a yearly vacation.  The portrayal of Atticus as a real-life flawed human being trying to live by a personal code is much very relatable.  This snapshot of southern life on the cusp of the civil rights movement has lessons that still resonate today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment