Thursday, November 6, 2014

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"

by Lena Dunham. 288 pages.

I'm a fan of Dunham's HBO series, GIRLS, and her early film "Tiny Furniture", so I was looking forward to diving into her new book.  I was a little skeptical when I discovered that it was actually a memoir (being written by someone in only her late twenties), but I expected at the very least that it capture Dunham's strange humor and leave me satisfied.  Unfortunately, I was left feeling a little disappointed.  Overwhelmingly, Dunham discussed her relationships with men and little else.  What little glimpse we caught of her relationship with her family or friends in her life was somewhat shallow.  Dunham is viewed as feminist icon for the Millennial Generation, so I was surprised that she had so few insightful or relevant things to say throughout her book.

Oh well.  I can always watch reruns of her show.

No comments:

Post a Comment