Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Emily's Dress and Other Missing Things by Kathryn Burak

Emily's Dress and Other Missing Things by Kathryn Burak - 232 pages

Claire has just moved to Amherst, home of Emily Dickinson, after the worst year of her life.  She was with her mother when she died of a suicide attempt.  And she became a suspect when her best friend disappeared.  So now she is obsessed with death, poetry, and Emily Dickinsin.  When she accidently reveals her past to her English Literature student teacher it sets in motion a crazy adventure where they steal Emily Dickinsin's dress and try to solve her best friend's disappearance.

I'll be honest - I did not think I would enjoy this book.  This is one of those books that I purchased for the library simply because it was getting excellent reviews.  I thought the book sounded depressing and nobody would ever want to read it.  I picked it up yesterday as something to read during lunch - fully expecting that I would turn it back in and not finish it.  I'm shocked to say that I didn't want to put it down.  I started reading it again as soon as I got home and kept going until I finished.  It was a great story!  Yes the story and characters are pretty depressing, but they were also intriguing.  The author did a great job of infusing humor into such an emotional book.  I laughed out loud several times as well as cried several times.  This was a wonderful book!  I do think it will be a very hard sell to teens though.  I think it is something that ultimately would have been better being marketed as an adult book.

No comments:

Post a Comment