Saturday, August 31, 2024

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

 

The Glass Castle  by Jeannette Walls 288 pages

In the tradition of Mary Karr's "The Liars' Club" and Rick Bragg's "All Over But the Shouting," Jeannette Walls has written a stunning and life-affirming memoir about surviving a willfully impoverished, eccentric and severely misguided family. The child of an alcoholic father and an eccentric artist mother discusses her family's nomadic upbringing, during which she and her siblings fended for themselves while their parents outmaneuvered bill collectors and the authorities.


I had heard so much about this book, but I had never read it myself.  It was very intriguing, and really sad story told very well.  My heart ached for these children, yet understood the need and desire to stay with parents that really don't take care of them.  I am so glad I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment