Tuesday, March 26, 2024

What you are looking for is in the library, Michiko Aoyama


What you are looking for is in the library, Aoyama | 304 pages

"Yes, I want to try and change. Thanks to this book."A broad smile light Ms. Komachi's face. "You may say it was the book, but it's how you read a book that's most valuable, rather than any power it might have itself."

Translated from Japanese. A small library is in the corner of the Community House. Various patrons stumble in, each to have a life changing meeting with the head librarian and her simple but profound question: "What are you looking for?"

It's beyond me to find words to capture this novel that isn't really a novel - it's short stories loosely connected. All feature the librarian and her assistant; at the end many of the character's stories touch each other in minor ways. Some significant, but in a real life, understated way.

It's quirky and very philosophical. I loved it, but I think there are many layers I've missed. I'm going to try and read it again sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment