Monday, March 25, 2024

Dune (#1) by Frank Herbert

 


Dune (#1) by Frank Herbert, 883 pages, ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides, heir to a noble family tasked with ruling an inhospitable world where the only thing of value is the “spice” melange, a drug capable of extending life and enhancing consciousness. Coveted across the known universe, melange is a prize worth killing for....

When House Atreides is betrayed, the destruction of Paul’s family will set the boy on a journey toward a destiny greater than he could ever have imagined. And as he evolves into the mysterious man known as Muad’Dib, he will bring to fruition humankind’s most ancient and unattainable dream.

I saw Dune part 2 in theaters so, like everyone else, I decided to read the books. I am just in love with the world and storyline of Dune, especially for the time that the series was written. There were some parts of the book that I found confusing just because of all the sci-fi words, but there is a very useful glossary at the end of the book full of words specific to this series. I think the main thing that kept this book from being 5 stars is that I'm not the biggest fan of Herbert's writing, it definitely takes some getting used to. It won't deter me from reading the rest of the series though and I'm excited to read the (much shorter) next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment