Saturday, September 30, 2023

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell

Carry On (Simon Snow #1) by Rainbow Rowell, 522 p.

"Simon Snow is the worst Chosen One who's ever been chosen. That's what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he's probably right. 

Half the time, Simon can't even make his wand work, and the other half, he starts something on fire. His mentor's avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there's a magic-eating monster running around, wearing Simon's face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here — it's their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon's infuriating nemesis didn't even bother to show up." --Goodreads blurb

 I've been on a roll this month reading books that have been on my TBR for a long time. I'm so glad I picked up this first book in the series. Rowell is a fantastic word builder and character writer. While it's simply-written, you care (or hate to care) about the characters. I went in not knowing this was a "knockoff Harry Potter" so that threw me off for a bit, but once I figured that out, I was in for the long haul!

No comments:

Post a Comment