Monday, June 17, 2019

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead

The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
206 pages / 10 hrs, 43 mins

"Cora is a slave on a cotton plantation in Georgia. Life is hell for all the slaves, but especially bad for Cora; an outcast even among her fellow Africans, she is coming into womanhood--where even great pain awaits. When Caesar, a recent arrival from Virginia, tells her about the Underground Railroad, they decide to take a terrifying risk and escape. Matters do not go as planned--Cora kills a young white boy who tries to capture her. Though they manage to find a station and head north, they are being hunted."    (from the publisher)

This is a topic near and dear to my heart.  In grade school we were asked to write about someone we admired and I chose Harriet Tubman.  She is still high on my list of heroes!  That said, I didn't think the book was particularly well written especially for a book that won the Pulitzer.  Also, in my opinion, transferring the metaphorical railroad into an actual railroad didn't really add to the story.  I gave it 2.5 (rounded to 3) stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment