Saturday, May 26, 2018

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder - 256 pages

I read all the Little House books around 2nd-3rd grade and loved them at that time.  I decided to try listening to the audiobooks after a patron was raving about them.  It was definitely interesting listening to them as an adult.  The parts I found more boring as a child -- all the description about how they did their chores and work -- was the most interesting parts to me as an adult.  I was also interested to see how they held up as they are often criticized now for their racial stereotypes.  There were a couple songs that would definitely be insulting, but it wasn't as pervasive as I thought it might be -- probably because they are in the middle of the woods and don't really encounter any other people other than their family.  I think I might continue on the with the series on audiobook.

No comments:

Post a Comment