Monday, March 6, 2017

Beautiful Ghosts by Eliot Pattison

Beautiful Ghosts by Eliot Pattison
368 pages

This mystery is the fourth in the Inspector Shan Tao Yun series.  I read the book in an effort to stretch my reading experience and also learn about the culture and religious practices of ancient Tibet.

The author does a tremendous job describing the Tibetans living in the mountains near their icons, shrines, and temples.  It is quite fascinating to read about values and life experiences that are very different from my own.  I was reminded how important it is to have time alone to meditate and focus on one's raison d'etre.  I was also inspired by the commitment and loyalty of the characters who refused to act against their beliefs in spite of severe consequences.

In general, though, the book dragged for me.  Character development and information that advanced the plot were sparse amidst the pages of description.  I may try the first in the series sometime and see if starting with book four limited my enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment