Wednesday, December 28, 2016

D-Day June 6, 1944: the climactic battle of WWII by Stephen Ambrose

D-Day June 6, 1944 by Stephen Ambrose (abridged)
6 hours - read by the author

I kind of stumbled onto this title while waiting for one of my OverDrive holds to become available.  Before I talk about the content, let me say that I had no idea it was abridged until it was mentioned at the end of the recording.  It would have been nice to know on OverDrive's general description page without having to read the "Details" section.

That said, it was very well done, and gave a good overview of the D-Day operation.  Ambrose is a master at personalizing history by introducing the reader to individuals at the same time he is relating the overall view.  He also includes little-known facts and behind-the-scenes details that make the story come alive.  I gave it five out of five stars, however, I've not read much on the subject so it might be too general to entertain an avid reader of WWII history.

No comments:

Post a Comment