Friday, November 18, 2016

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo-182 pages

I watched the movie a few years ago, so I decided to read this book since this month is books about animals. Opal Buloni goes to a Winn-Dixie grocery store in Naomi, Florida where she has just moved and meets a mischievous, friendly stray dog who she claims is hers and names Winn-Dixie after the grocery store. Because of Winn-Dixie she meets and befriends Franny Block, who runs the Herman W. Block Memorial Library. Additionally, she meets and befriends Otis, who runs a pet store. Opal also becomes friends with Amanda, the Dewberry boys, Gloria Dump, and Sweetie Pie Thomas. She makes all of these friends because of her dog Winn-Dixie. Opal also reaches an understanding about her mom leaving her and her dad, the preacher. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book, although I was disappointed that the grammar was not better. There are many examples throughout the book of improper grammar usage (i.e. I seen, I brung, etc.). I understand that Opal is 10 and many of her friends are kids, also, but I would like to see more proper grammar.

No comments:

Post a Comment