Tuesday, July 19, 2016

The Carnival at Bray by Jessie Ann Foley

The Carnival at Bray by Jessie Ann Foley-240 pages


I wanted to read this book because it was on a list to choose from for a YA course that I took in my last semester of library school. I didn't get a chance to read it then, but wanted to now, mainly because it is set in Ireland. I have been to Scotland and have had an affinity (and ancestors from) Ireland for a while now. This is the story of a teen from Chicago who moves to a small town in Ireland called Bray when her mother marries a local from Bray. It chronicles Maggie's relationships with her mom, Nanny Ei, and the rest of her family, including her Uncle Kevin. She travels to Rome to see Nirvana with Eoin, her Irish boyfriend who she falls in love with because it was her Uncle Kevin's dying wish (he left her a letter before he committed suicide). Maggie meets a local elderly man named Dan Sean O'Callaghan and visits him often during the story. It is a story of first love, finding one's place, and family and I enjoyed reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment