Friday, May 20, 2016

The Fateful Lightning by Jeff Shaara

The Fateful Lightning by Jeff Shaara-615 pages

I enjoyed reading this novelization of Sherman's March to the Sea. The characterization and humanization of Generals Sherman and Hardee, and Captain Seeley are intriguing. Additionally, Shaara's presentation of a freed slave named Franklin is most intriguing, though a bit stereotypical. I like the way Shaara chooses a few people to follow throughout the events and attempts to humanize these historical events. In many ways, he succeeds, which is why I so enjoy reading his novels. One thing I found disappointing about this particular novel, though, is that he leaves Franklin's story hanging. He spends a lot of time developing Franklin's character and then leaves the reader hanging a bit (although he does include an ending in his Afterword). One other small complaint I have is that he includes one chapter on General William B. Hazen when it is necessary, but does not develop his character at all and includes nothing about him in the Afterword. Overall, though, I liked this novel just as well as every Shaara novel I have read so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment