Friday, February 6, 2015

The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston

The Children of Green Knowe by L.M. Boston - 183 pages

Tolly travels to spend the Christmas holidays with his great-grandmother at Green Knowe.  There he hears stories of long ago ancestors, eventually meeting their ghosts.

This audio annoyed me.  The narrator did a good job.  The problem was the book itself.  The character of Tolly seemed older when I was first listening and then seemed to get younger and younger as the story continued.  I actually had to look up his age and found out he was supposed to be 7 years old -- too old for some of his actions and too young for others.  It's also supposed to be a touching story of connecting with the ghosts of children from the past.  However, it almost seemed more to me that he was imagining and pretend playing that he met ghosts.  His grandmother seemed to be playing along with the ghosts with a "wink and a nod" the whole time.  The only reason I kept listening was that the next audio I wanted to listen to had not yet come up on hold for me yet.  If it had, I probably would have quit as soon as it had.

No comments:

Post a Comment