Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson - 337 pages

This is a memoir written by Jacqueline Woodson of her childhood from being born in Ohio, living with her grandparents in South Carolina, and moving to New York City with her mother.  The memoir is written in verse.

This is a wonderful book that is very well done.  It's been on my list to read since it came out.  I picked up yesterday to read during lunch since I had forgotten my book at home.  I am so glad I did.  The poems are emotional while being sparse.  They convey so much description and feeling in 1-2 pages.  Her experiences growing up without her father, dealing with racial issues, and living as a Jehovah's Witness are expressed with honesty.  This is a book that I think most kids would benefit from reading. However, I also think that it is a book that will require a fair amount of hand-selling to get into the hands of kids.

2015 Coretta Scott King Medal - Author
2015 Newbery Honor Book
2015 Robert F. Sibert Honor Book

No comments:

Post a Comment