Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Man Rides Through by Stephen R. Donaldson

A Man Rides Through by Stephen R. Donaldson - 627 pages

A friend gave me this book to read in college.  I absolutely loved it at the time.  It was the book that got me reading fantasy novels.  So when I came across it again the other day at the library, I decided to pick it up and see if it was as good as I remembered.  I still enjoyed the book.  I immediately got engrossed in it.  However, this time reading it I was struck by how many twists there were in the story.  It seemed like there was a new plot twist every 20 pages or so.  It was a few too many.  I was also struck by the fact that the main character was female - uncommon for a fantasy book from that time.  She was written as being both the hero and the victim - so it was a little confusing at times.  For example she had to continuously remind herself to think which annoyed me as a reader.  Female leads are usually written better than that now - although for the time it was a good step.

No comments:

Post a Comment