Monday, November 17, 2014

The Scarecrow and His Servant by Philip Pullman

The Scarecrow and His Servant by Philip Pullman - 229 pages

One night a lightning strike animates a scarecrow.  The next morning a young boy, Jack, become the servant of Lord Scarecrow and they set off to make their fortune.  They have various adventures including facing brigands, acting in a play, leading a battle, and becoming castaways on a deserted island.  All while being chased by the lawyers of the family trying to make certain Lord Scarecrow never claims his inheritance.

I listened to this on audio.  It took a really long time for me to get into the story.  I don't think it was until the fourth and final CD that I really cared what happened to either Jack or the Scarecrow.  What mainly bothered me was how whiny Jack was.  He was always on the brink of starving to death even though he had only missed maybe one or two meals the entire story.

No comments:

Post a Comment