Monday, October 6, 2014

The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill

The Mostly True Story of Jack by Kelly Barnhill - 323 pages

Jack is sent to live with his aunt and uncle in Hazelwood, Iowa when his parents decide to divorce.  Hazelwood is a new experience for Jack.  It is the first time that he is ever noticed by anyone -- bullies, adults, and friends.  It also seems to be a town with secrets that all center around Jack.

This is a difficult book to explain.  However, I sometimes think those are the best kind of books.  This was a truly unique fairy tale that I really enjoyed reading.  While I guessed parts of the final outcome, I was still surprised by several elements.  I do think that some might take issue with the fact that the ending is not a happy ending - a truly unusual thing in a children's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment