Saturday, May 17, 2014

World War II in Numbers: An Infographic History to the Conflict, Its Conduct, and Its Casualties by Peter Doyle

World War II in Numbers: An Infographic History to the Conflict, Its Conduct, and Its Casualties by Peter Doyle - 224 pages

While I thought this book would be informative, after reading it I'm not so sure.  The bibliography is sketchy at best*, making me question the reliability of the information in this infographic presentation of World War II.  Furthering that point is the fact I found several errors anyone could figure out, the most glaring being that on the bar graph for troops involved at the Normandy invasions.  While there was a place for American troops in the key, they were left completely off the graph!  It was still interesting to look at and the accompanying narrative seemed okay, if information light, but I'm not sure I'd trust the statistical information in the book.



*The sources were mostly unverifiable websites, often placed on line by the common Joe or Jane, and list of books too short,focused on specific battles/events, and not written by well-known historians.


No comments:

Post a Comment