Monday, April 28, 2014

The Book Whisperer: Awakening The Inner Reader In Every Child by Donalyn Miller

The Book Whisperer: Awakening The Inner Reader In Every Child by Donalyn Miller, 228 pages

I wish this book was written years ago.  Donalyn Miller is a 6th grade language arts and social studies teacher in Keller, Texas.  She also writes a blog. I love how she motivates her students to read.  She instills in her students to read for pleasure.  She believes there is a reader in all of us.  I love how she surveys her students to get to the core of their reading interests.  She says all her students in her class read at least 40 books a year and score high on the state's reading assessment test.  This is how successful her program has been.  I recommend page 16, Key Components of a Reading Workshop; and page 66 Unusual Places To Read (my favorite the trampoline and I personally don't recommend reading a library book in the shower.)  Page 75 is The Rights Of The Reader (a must read) especially the right to read anything and the right to not finish.  Check out page 114, Why You Should Read Children's Books As An Adult, a very important factor this month which happened to include National Library Week!  The most important thing I realized is reading children's books IS FUN and also very inspirational!  After reading this book,  I realized reading is a personal choice and one that involves your personal interests.  No one should be made to read if it is not enjoyable or pleasurable!

No comments:

Post a Comment