Monday, January 13, 2014

The Shining by Stephen King

The Shining by Stephen King, 688 pages.

Everybody and their grandmother has heard of "The Shining," so I'm going to try make this brief.  "The Shining" is a novel by my personal favorite author, Stephen King.  It has been turned into a movie, a miniseries, and parodied on "The Simpsons," plus King has recently written it a sequel, which I plan to read eventually.  Why does this matter, you ask.  Well, being the King fan that I claim myself to be, and having seen the story in all the aforementioned forms of media, I figured I should read it.

As I said before, virtually everyone knows the story.  Jack Torrance takes a job taking care of an old hotel in the Colorado Rockies, he drags his wife and his son along, and crazy adventures await the Torrance family, as the hotel is haunted...or sentient.  It's hard to tell sometimes with King's writing.  But anyway, Jack's boy, Danny, has a gift called the shining, which is kinda like psychic powers that let him tap into other peoples minds and see things that don't actually exist, but they also kind of do.  The family ends up getting snowed in, some weird and spooky stuff happens, and Jack finally loses his marbles and...

*SPOILERS*

tries to kill his family.  It all boils down to the climax, which the movie, the mini series, and the Simpsons episode don't fully encapsulate, so I won't spoil that.

All in all, I really enjoyed the book.  It has a good enough pace that made me want to keep reading.  The setting was great, the characters were relateable and realistic, and there were no slow points like a lot of other of King's work.  So yeah, read this book.  It was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment