Wednesday, January 29, 2014

A Sweet Taste of History: More than 100 Elegant Dessert Recipes from America's Earliest Days by Chef Walter Staib

A Sweet Taste of History: More than 100 Elegant Dessert Recipes from America's Earliest Days by Chef Walter Staib published in 2013 236 pages

Chef Staib is the proprietor of the Philadelphia City Tavern, a faithful reproduction of the original tavern established in 1773.

I love desserts. I mean I REALLY love desserts. As I read through this book I could see the founding fathers sitting around a table and feasting on these wonderful foods. It makes one realize that our ancestors really knew how to cook and how to eat.

All most all of these recipes can be cooked and enjoyed at home. I personally prefer my wife's gingerbread, but the one in this book looks good also.

One doesn't think of Ice Cream and Sorbet as being colonial. But it was. Though I would love to try Thomas Jefferson's Vanilla Bean Ice Cream recipe, I am afraid it may be along time before I have the courage to try Dolly Madison's Oyster Ice Cream (one cup of Chesapeake oysters in one and a half quarts of ice cream)! Maybe Oyster Ice Cream is very good, maybe I am being silly. Maybe not...

No comments:

Post a Comment