Monday, November 26, 2012

A Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin

A game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin, 694 pages

A Game of Thrones is the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire, a five book series by George R.R. Martin.  The book introduces what I can only assume are major characters to the series, being that it is the first in it.  I've never read a fantasy type book before, but it was recommended to me by a friend whose opinion I value and I must say I was impressed.  For a fantasy novel, there was less magic and such than I would have guessed there to be, but also I have never really read in the genre, so yeah.  Anyway, the story takes place in the fictional land of Westeros where seasons last longer or shorter than they would regularly, which I suppose will be important towards the general plot of the series and follows the struggle of three major houses: The Starks, the Lannisters, and the Barantheons.  The Barantheons hold the crown but the king married a Lannister and fathered three heirs with her, while making Eddard Stark the king's hand, which is kind of like the Vice President.  Well, to make a long story short, some stuff happens and then other things happen because of the initial stuff happening.  The book was good.  Read it, or don't.  I liked it.  Oh, and also HBO made a t.v. show from it.  From what I have seen of it, the show follows the book pretty faithfully, which is somewhat of a rarity for film adaptations of books.   

No comments:

Post a Comment