Monday, October 22, 2012

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lois Lowry - 180 pages

Jonas has been given one of the most honored jobs in his community - The Receiver.  He is to receive all the past memories that his people no longer keep for themselves.  Through his training, he receives memories of snow, sunshine, boats, animals, and colors -- all things his community gave up many generations ago so that they could have "sameness". 
I read this book in college shortly after it came out.  I thought then that is was one of the best children's books I had ever read.  I decided to read it again with the final book in The Giver series coming out.  I wanted to see if I still viewed the book in the same way.  I wanted to see if knowing where the series was going would change my view of the ending.  It didn't.  I still find myself thinking it is a book that everyone should read at some point in their life.  I also find myself believing the book ended a particular way (which I won't share as I don't want to spoil it for anyone else). 
Has anyone else read the book?  I'd love to know what your thoughts are on the ending The Giver.

No comments:

Post a Comment