Thursday, September 20, 2012

Battle Royale, Ultimate Edition Volume 1, by Koushun Takami

Battle Royale, Ultimate Edition Volume 1, by Koushun Takami, 672 pages

Here's the story: in a dystopian future, schoolchildren are selected every year to battle to the death.  There can only be one winner, but what about when love comes into play?

Sound familiar? I kept hearing The Hunger Games compared to Battle Royale (which was written over 10 years ago), so I had to check it out.  Yes, the similarities are striking, but they are different enough to be seen each in their separate lights.  The main difference, though, and the most important one, is that Battle Royale is INCREDIBLY violent and sexual.  Squeamishly so, for me (and I have a pretty high tolerance).  It's a gripping story, and the movie is excellent, but alot of this book made me very uncomfortable.  It was excellent, in a twisted way, but I would not feel comfortable recommending this to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment