Tuesday, May 24, 2016

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver by Lois Lowry (audiobook)-224 pages in print (depending on which edition)

I watched the recent movie with Jeff Bridges, Meryl Streep, and others, so I decided to listen to the audiobook since it is this month's challenge and it is a fairly short one. I wanted to know how the movie and the book were alike and different. The community and the way it is operated reminds me of many satirical, dystopian futuristic novels I have read and movies I have watched, such as 1984 by George Orwell, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Equilibrium (film), Gattaca (film), and etc. The Giver has some elements from each of the aforementioned movies and books. Sameness and not truly feeling anything is what the community values and that would be scary in reality. If everyone was the same, then it would be very boring and terrible. Additionally, the climate is controlled and there is no snow, no sun, no emotion based on weather. Books and films such as this make one (me, at least) think critically about life and living. I really enjoyed listening to this and it has peaked my interest in reading the rest of the series and in re-watching the movie, although I have a feeling that I will not/do not like the movie as well as the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment