Tuesday, February 20, 2018

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, 288 pages

Someone told me I would enjoy reading this book and I must say I did.  Jeanette Walls writes this memoir from her viewpoint growing up in an unstable household with two very unstable parents.  Her father is an alcoholic who can't hold a job and her mother is a very flighty artistic woman who doesn't want to spend her time taking care of her four children.  Jeanette is the second eldest of the Walls children hoping to escape the poverty they grew up in Welch, West Virginia.  Lori is the oldest and the first to move to New York City.  As the other children grow into adulthood, they make successful lives for themselves in The Big Apple.  It was shocking to me how the parents followed their kids to NYC and ended up being squatters in an old abandon building.  Glass Castle was a well written novel that was both shocking and eye opening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment