Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Blood at the Root by Patrick Phillips

Blood at the Root by Patrick Phillips
320 pages

When I saw this book is nominated for some prestigious awards, I decided to take a look at it. 

Finalist for the Andrew Carnegie Medal, American Library Association
Editor's Choice, New York Times Book Review
Longlisted for the Kirkus Prize in Nonfiction
 
 That's when I discovered it was about Forsyth County, Georgia where my brother-in-law has been living for 20 years, and I knew I had to read it.  The book is well written and it is obvious the author did a great deal of research.  The lynchings and circumstances surrounding them are described in appropriate detail.  Hard to read, yes, but an important testimony of the lives cruelly taken.  Today there are very few African Americans living in the county, and I have no doubt prejudice remains strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment