Saturday, May 21, 2016

A Chain of Thunder by Jeff Shaara

A Chain of Thunder by Jeff Shaara (audiobook)-562 pages in print

I enjoyed listening to this on audiobook, though the reader's presentation of some of the characters is a bit disappointing and it is 22 hours long. This is a novelization of the Siege of Vicksburg, Mississippi by the Union Army in 1863, culminating with the surrender of the Confederate Army on July 4, 1863. I really like Shaara's portrayal of Fritz "Dutchie" Bauer, a Private on the front lines and his portrayal of Lucy Spence, a young, single civilian woman in Vicksburg, as well as his portrayals of Generals Sherman and Pemberton. I really like Shaara's humanization of these historical events and his portrayal of the key figures involved in them. This might actually be my favorite Jeff Shaara novel so far, although I do like them all, to a degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment