Thursday, March 5, 2015

Above the Dreamless Dead by Chris Duffy

Above the Dreamless Dead: World War I in Poetry and Comics edited by Chris Duffy - 144 pages

This is a collection of poems by the "Trench Poets" - soldiers who fought in World War I and wrote poetry about their experiences.  The poems have been interpreted by various graphic artists into comics.

I picked up this book after seeing it on the Best Graphic Novels list for Teens from YALSA.  It was a very interesting book.  Out of the collection, I had only heard one of the poems before although I had heard of several of the poets.  The interpretations were interesting.  Some were literal interpretations while others were more symbolic.  My two favorites were "All the Hills and Vales" by Charles Sorley and interpreted by Kevin Huizenga and "The Immortals" by Isaac Rosenberg and interpreted by Peter Kuper.

No comments:

Post a Comment